I'm entering the Australian Sewing Guild's annual Convention Challenge later this year and this outfit is part of my entry. The Challenge this year is using patterns (Simp 2148, 2344, 1592 & New Look 6082) in Guild colours of purple, green and/or blue. Your garments have to be at least 50% of any of those guild colours. Well of course these are MY colours and I found a tonne of fabric in my stash to use in the Challenge. Lucky old me. However, this purple mesh fabric was a new purchase just because I could.
I'm entering the Convention Collection category of the challenge which is 5-8 co-ordinated garments that one would wear to Convention. In my case, it's going to be knit pants and various tops with a vest and this mesh evening jacket. I'm hoping it will all go well. But of course, it doesn't matter cos I'm sure I will love all the garments I make.
I'm wearing the grape sleeveless number I showed you in the last post underneath the jacket. Of course, the top is not my best sewing as is always the way for me. However, I'm really happy with how the mesh jacket has come out. I used french seams in most of the jacket and a rolled hem on both the bottom of the jacket and the sleeves. It will be one of those tops that is too hot to wear in the summer and too cold for the winter. When I put it on this afternoon, I could feel the cold come straight through the fabric onto my arms even though it was 20C outside today. Brrrr.
In other sewing, I am currently making the camisole top from Simplicity 2603, adding the sleeves from the cardi wrap in the same pattern. The fabric is a gorgeous teal merino which I got in NZ last year. It's just gorgeous to sew. I've made this pattern before but it was always much too short so a remake was necessary. I decided to move away from black, hoping to add a bit more colour to my winter wardrobe.
So stay tuned for a pic of that soon!

4 comments:
Looks great Alison - I'm glad the mesh top turned out so well and your convention entries are coming along. Last time I saw you I think you were swearing loudly at your machines trying to sew up a knit top!
Agreed. This looks great Alison! I didn't think to use mesh for this pattern. Good idea. I'd love to see your completed entry.
That really suits you and it is great to see the mesh jacket from the trip away modelled. Looks lovely. Looking forward to seeing more of your collection.
Very stylish, love the colours on you and look forward to seeing the other pieces.
Post a Comment