Saturday, 18 April 2015

2 pieces down....6 to go!

I've managed to sew two of my items for the Wardrobe Contest  and have another two cut out ready to go. There's a sewing retreat in two weeks but I'm not sure how much will get done then so I think I will keep plugging along on the contest entries. Don't want to be behind!

The first piece is a dress. Yes, you read that right! A dress! I never make/wear dresses but I thought it would be a nice change and since I'm going on that cruise, it would be a good evening outfit with a mesh over-jacket type thingie (another piece from my wardrobe). I found this McCalls pattern which was perfect for me - empire style maxi dress with or without a sleeve. I'll be making the sleeved version for my mother later. (Sigh...obligation sewing).

The dress was a snap to sew. There are no facings or such; the armholes & neckline are just turned over and hemmed. I used my trusty Coverpro for that. It's a bit loose around the skirt top because I omitted the elastic from there. I suspected it might make me look like a bag tied in the middle plus this gives me a bit more room for eating.



McCalls 5893
Size 18 with FBA
Fabric from The Remnant Warehouse
Purchased sometime in 2013



Closeup of the neckline.

The next item is a top. I used that old favourite/standby Simplicity 4076. Can you believe that I have never made this top with the short sleeve from the pattern? Well, I have now. Although I lengthened it by about 2". I think it could do with more. Whatever. I've used this fabric before but that top has died and is now only a round-the-house top. Lucky I bought about 3m way back when I got this. I seem to remember that getting prints with aqua in them was difficult. Ha!

Anyway, the usual adjustments - FBA, funny shoulder thing (although the photo shows the shoulder slipping to the front - damn slippery rayon!) and neck gaposis tuck. Oh..also lengthening the pattern. This pattern is incredibly short. Unbelievably so. Don't tell anyone but the hems aren't done yet either. 



Simplicity 4076
Size 16 at shoulders & god knows from there down
Rayon knit fabric from Pitt Trading purchased some time in 2008/2009

7 comments:

Kristy Chan said...

Nice to see you in a dress! Perfect for your cruise. And what do you mean you're not sure how much you'll get done at the sewing retreat? Aren't we going to work like workaholic nuns who have taken a vow of silence?!

BeaJay said...

You have a great start on your wardrobe. Love both pieces. Great colour palette.

Don't worry - I'll bring some occy straps to the retreat - keep you in your chair.

Not too sure about Kristy's vow of silence. I think that might be mission impossible.

Sharon said...

Your dress looks perfect for the cruise and love the colours in your top.

Not sure where Kristy was last year and agree with BeaJay that the vow of silence would be impossible.

Michelle said...

Great start on your wardrobe with two fun pieces! They're very cruise-y. :)

schnauzer said...

The dress looks really nice on you.
Lovely top too! Both will be great for the cruise.

ista said...

I'm with Kristy in the workaholic, but my group of nuns knows how to enjoy a good beverage or 2 in the evening while they chat away!

L said...

Love love the dress! I like Michelle's description of "cruise-y." =)