Sunday, 6 July 2014

It's been a while

Don't for one moment think that just because I haven't been blogging that I haven't been sewing! I'm just sewing secret women's business.

But here are some things I *can* show you.

In May I went away for a sewing weekend where I made some of the secret things. So no photos of that. But I did have a great time and there is another sewing retreat scheduled for August. He he he.

The weekend after that retreat, I did a felting workshop in Woy Woy with NZ felting tutor, Raewyn Penrose. She was one of our tutors at the ASG Convention in Auckland last year and I was very envious of the lucky girls who did her class. So when I was told she was coming over, I jumped at the chance to do the class.

The class was to make this felt and then create a bag but I decided to just keep the fabric as is and use it later. Here's a photo of the finished piece (excuse my tomatoes in the background LOL).


Here are some closeups of some of my favourite bits







Then I decided in order to get the technique of bag-making, I would make this little pouch. No plans for what to do with it though! I used a different background colour and absolutely adore it. So yummy.





I've also been making some underwear. I bought this fabric about 18 months ago when Target decided to change the undies I liked. Grrrr. I got 7 pairs out of 1 metre - one was a toile. I ran out of elastic at the end & needed to sub so just used some cream. I think it looks fine. And besides, who is gonna see it???

The pattern is Kwik Sew 3881, size XL. I did a cross between the full brief and the bikini. I just measured my RTW side seams to get the preferred length. I also used the RTW for elastic measurements and I made the leg openings a bit higher.


A closeup of the elastic attachment using a 3 step zig zag, length 3 width 2.5.



This garment is part of my ASG Convention Sewing Challenge entry.  It's New Look 6082. I've been working on this one for a while cos it was so gapey and low on my body. Anyway, it's now fixed and is fine. The colour is not true to life here - it's more a grape colour.



Last but not least, is a present I made for my best friend. It's a waterproof bag for her to use with her wet sponge/washcloth/whatever you call it. The fabric came from The Remnant Warehouse and is a laminated cotton. The inside (no photo) is just remnants of my much hated Minoru jacket.  I used that old familiar Nicole Mallalieu pattern but didn't box the bottom out.



So that's it for now. I will be back with some more stuff I promise! I'm currently making DD a ponte dress and a merino top for myself. I can definitely show you them!

5 comments:

Renata said...

It doesn't rain but it pours at your place as far as blogging, whew! I must say that the photo of the larger of the felted pieces doesn't look nearly as good as in real life and it will be interesting to see what you make of it. The felted purse definitely does look as good. NOW, as for the secret women's sewing, whilst most of your readers will have missed out, we, at your ASG meeting got treated to a runway show nothing short of spectacular, a true show stopper!!!

Sharon said...

Oh wow I have missed out on the larger piece of felt and by the sounds of things the runway show! Your little felt bag is gorgeous in real life and that wetpack is perfect for your friend.

Dilliander said...

The felting is fantastic Alison, and the little bags are gorgeous. Sad to have missed your secret sewing runway show but look forward to seeing it when the secret is revealed. You have been sewing up a storm!

L said...

Now, now. What's this business about keeping secrets? Spill! =)

I'm very interested in seeing what becomes of the felted piece. I really like the colors and texture.

BeaJay said...

Your felted piece is lovely and your purse is gorgeous. Don't you hate it when a shop changes the line!! And isn't it great you can sew. Your grape top is lovely too.