Monday, 21 April 2014

More binder info

Thank you for your comments about my binding yesterday. I saw that Michelle had asked how long I've been coverstitching for before I got into binders. So I thought I'd just do a post about binders for Michelle. Just for you Michelle! Of course, it could even be helpful for anyone else who is interested in my ramblings! LOL.

Here's what I have discovered about binders.

  • Binders are not just for knits! This was an epiphany for me. I had no idea there were woven binders.
  • Binders can be used to attach fold-over elastic.
  • Knit binders are tricky little buggers. You need to practice. I've yet to have a successful one but then I haven't really tried that hard. 
  • Belt loopers can be used for other things.
  • There are hemmers for people who can't manage CS hems just by using the machine.
  • Sharpsewing on Ebay is a wonderful resource IF you know what you're looking for.
I now have the following binders
  • 1/2" finished double fold woven bias binder (that's the one I used in the previous post)
  • 5/16" finished single fold binder for FOE
  • 1/2" finished belt looper
  • 1" finished single fold woven bias binder (this was sent in error - I wanted a double fold one)
  • 5/16" finished double fold knit binder
  • 1/2" finished double fold knit binder (there's not much difference between these last two)
Eventually I hope to use the knit binders more. But I am looking forward to attaching FOE with that 5/16" one. The only reason I haven't used the knit ones is cos I mainly use slippery fabric and it's just so HARD!



4 comments:

Sue said...

You may be persuading me I need a coverstitch machine with the photos of the beautiful finish you achieved.

Anonymous said...

Great info, thanks! I would like to see how the ends of the binding are joined please?

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing this! Given that I'm fairly new to having a coverstitch function on my machine, I'm really curious about binders and how well they work, if people really use them, etc, since I might want to invest in them at some point. It looks like you're getting great results from yours (the ones that you've got nailed down)!

Sharon said...

Great info and I need to see what binders I don't have and work out what is wrong with my belt looper.