Friday, 18 March 2011

Trip wrapup

I've been putting off writing this post as I didn't really know what to say. So I'll just concentrate mainly on my purchases (cos, after all, isn't that the best bit?? LOL) and do a quick roundup of Puyallup and the classes in another post.

We arrived into Portland on Sat 26th Feb and proceeded to drive to Tigard for Apple store shopping. It was quite cold & stupid me forgot her jacket. We were dashing from store to store in 34 degrees with my teeth chattering. Anyway, I ended up with DH's iPad, my red iPod nano and a blue shuffle for my mother. I also bought some goodies at the Mac cosmetics store. Good haul!

Next day, we were chaffeured around by Janis and this is where the good stuff started. First stop, Fabric Depot. My friends & I had already begun shopping there before we even left home. They had a 50% off Clover sale the weekend before so we ordered on-line and picked up the order in the store. I also managed to drop some serious $$$ while we were there which was mostly notions but also some fabric & patterns. Oh & some DMC embroidery thread which is much cheaper there.

Next stop, Mill End Store. I have to say I tried my hardest but no fabric came home with me from there. Sharon, on the other hand, got the motherlode. But that's another story. All I got from Mill End was some wonder tape & the PR book.

I'd better share some pics with you otherwise it'll get a bit boring - me rambling on about various stores etc. You get the drift. Here's my fabric haul.


Let's see..... how can I tell you what they all are? At the back, the red stuff is polar fleece from Rose City Textiles. Very yummy! I also have some black for DH that's not in the photo. This came in very handy in some of our cold hotel rooms. Why don't they ever have spare blankets in the rooms???? But I digress. The black fabric at the back right is ponte. Next row is a poly/spandex aqua print, a rayon batik (gorgeous), the black/aqua sort of stripey fabric is a very fine cotton voile and the aqua on the right is some sort of knit from M&L fabrics in Anaheim ($2.79 p/yd). Next row is the most gorgeous cherry red/black knit (I think it's rayon but can't quite remember), then some b/w meshy stuff from Marcy Tilton's booth at Puyallup, the stripe is also from her booth and the red on the right is silk weight wickaway from Rose City Textiles. Finally, the bottom row is a gorgeous pink/black stretch woven from Yellow Bird Fabrics in SLC, blue/black/aqua funky silk for my coat lining, black/aqua knit also from Marcy I think and a piece of chiffon I wanted to make a scarf out of.

Onto the notions - well, what can I say. I was literally throwing stuff into my cart at the Fabric Depot. Most of this came from there.


I won't go into details except to say that I finally got a 40" flexible ruler for pants fitting and there's a bit of FOE in that pic. Oh & the epiphany of the trip - Gutermann numbers are DIFFERENT in the US. That was a big bummer after I'd downloaded the list of colours here beforehand and had plans to fill in the gaps of my collection. LOL. So I just bought all the aquas & teals.

Books - did anyone say books? This pic doesn't include the 4 books I got for my DD which were heavy little buggers and nothing to do with sewing. The two little books on the right were part of a door prize I won at the ASG Seattle chapter dinner at Puyallup. :)

Finally, sewing patterns. Oh my! I think I went a little mad. Most of them were purchased at Joann's but I did get a couple at Puyallup.


5 comments:

Imaan said...

What fun, and what a great time to go, when the AUD is so strong against the US! And I'm envious of the snow too:-)

Sharon said...

My fabric bag is still locked LOL. Hope to sort it out tonight.

Thank you for the great trip, your organisation was perfect.

Sue said...

I don't think you went a little mad - you would be crazy not to pick it up while you could - a great haul!

Janine said...

Nice haul!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison,

It was lovely meeting you in Portland and Puyallup. I laughed like crazy when I saw the pics of your notions and patterns purchases. You should be set for awhile. BTW, how did I miss the long flex-ruler? I need that!

Have fun with all your new toys, and I expect to see some sewing production from those patterns! Ha!