Saturday, 19 February 2011

My 2 final finishes for the trip

Before I fly away next Friday, I thought I'd post these last 2 items that I made for the trip.

The first one is another version of the Sandra Betzina cardigan that I blogged about before. It's Vogue 1058. I had to make this cardi much longer both above & below the bust in order to get that band in the right place. I'm still not sure about the fit (even though I made the right size this time!) as there's something going on in the armholes and I should have rotated the sleeve somewhat but it will do nicely as another layer for my trip. The red fabric is just gorgeous.


Vogue 1058
Size F lengthened
Fabric: 100% merino wool from The Fabric Store
Cost: $28 p/m
Purchased on 1st November 2010

The second and last thing for my trip is another version of Nicole Mallalieu's Baguette bag. If you recall, I made one last year and while I love it, it's a little small to fit all my things in it. Well...they fit but I can't do it up! It's also very floppy. So I made this one about 3cm wider and about the same taller. I also added a zip closure, made my shoulder strap a little wider and used a heavier interfacing and fusible wadding. Very happy with the result although the addition of the zip closure almost did my head in. Thanks to Sharonspils for lending me the instructions for that from another Nicole M bag pattern. I wanted the zip closure to give my things a bit more security for our trip. I've used it already and it's great. I can now fit my wallet, glasses case, camera, ipod and all the other stuff I have without the bag bulging out.

I found the matching border at Bargain Box fabrics in Shepparton on our way home from the Ballarat ASG Convention. Love it on the flap! This is a complete knock off of the way Vera Bradley bags are made!


A closeup of the zipper gusset addition.


Last, a pic of the inside pocket with my label. I also had a last minute idea to make a loop of elastic for the ever-present chapstick as I discovered when I used the bag, that the chapstick was hard to find in the depths! Lucky I hadn't hand-finished the lining seam. I knew there was a reason I put that off!


3 comments:

Sharon said...

Love the colour of your cardi and if you make it again you know about the sleeves.

Your bag looks fantastic and glad I could be of assistance, and repayment is in assisting me to make my first bag (when we return).

velosews said...

Beau-ti-ful. Your bags always look great. Love the cardi. I think it's going to be very handy.

Sue said...

Love them both! The fabrics you chose are great!