Monday, 29 November 2010

I've been sewing up a storm

I'm attempting to participate in PR's Endless Combinations Contest so have been doing a bit of agonising and planning plus lots of sewing. I don't have much to show you though as I've been jumping from one thing to another and only have 2 items completely finished. Plus my photographer is at school. These pics were done with a tripod & self-timer.

My colours for this contest are aqua, purple, white & maybe grey. I'm fine with the aqua and pretty good with the purple but finding prints in the fabric store with both of these colours is quite a headache. So....I bought this top from the fat women's section in Target with a view to cutting it up and re-making it. I checked that this was OK within the rules & it is. Beauty! However, when I got home I discovered it was the wrong purple. Bummer. But I still made it.

This is how it looked before. Sorry for the awful hanger shot but it looked even worse on me. I could've worn it as a dress!


This is how it looks now.


New Look 6735
Size 14 adjusted
Fabric from shirt purchased @ Target
Cost: $18


My other item to show is this T I made from OOP McCalls 4517. I found this pattern at The Fabric Cave for 50c. It was uncut. I just love grovelling through the patterns there. You never know what you might find! This pattern has great neckline & some snazzy sleeve variations...very RTW. :)



My finished T. This fabric is not very nice....a cotton knit that doesn't have much stretch or recovery but was perfect for the contest. So I used it as a toile and it's quite wearable IMO.


McCalls 4517
Size L
Fabric from Spotlight, around $10 p/m after 20% discount
Pattern 50c from The Fabric Cave

6 comments:

velosews said...

They're both good.
I love the blue and white striped the best but they are both good. I think I like the v-neckline gather feature.

SewRuthie said...

Looking very nice. Have fun with the contest.

Sharon said...

Great tops and good idea to use the purchased t-shirt for fabric, pity the colour was wrong.

Gail said...

I like the neckline on the blue-striped tee-shirt.

Sue said...

Lovely tops - the target up-cycle top is gorgeous on you.

schnauzer said...

Lovely tops, Alison. Good luck in the contest.