Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Wardrobe planning or SWAP?

It now appears that I'm officially job hunting as I have an interview tomorrow. Hmm...big problem..I have no work clothes! So yesterday I decided to go through my wardrobe and have a look. Some of these clothes have not been sighted for 5 years or more!

Here's what I found:

6 gore skirt - navy blue knit - still fits!
6 gore skirt - navy print - fits also
ankle-length straight navy blue skirt - sort of fits
knee-length straight navy blue skirt - as above
6 gore skirt in black wool jersey - a recent addition so it definitely fits
Assymetrical wrap skirt in black wool crepe - also a recent addition although it's a bit short
a light blue chambray shirt with notched collar and silver snaps - fits but is a bit baggy
blue with red flowers v neck blouse - fits but I hate it
navy/cream print top that I used to wear - fits but oh my god..the fit is chronic! Shoulder seam falling off my shoulders, neck gaposis, huge wrinkles where it needs a dart...must I go on?

So, assuming some of my travel clothes can also double as work clothes here's what I need.

TOPS!

Specifically, I need a plain navy blue top to wear with the print skirt. I also need some black trousers (I currently have a pair of stretch suede ones which are my dressy pants BUT they are very warm to wear in summer).

I've been through my stash & found 1.5m of the same navy print the skirt is in. I may be able to fashion something out of that. This can then be worn with the plain skirt as well as the print.

I also found some navy blue linen blend that has cream coloured patches and some more fabric the same in a colour I can only describe as straw. These were going to be a dress & jacket but I'm now thinking I can make pants and cami out of the plain & a loose over-jacket out of the blue.

There was a huge bag of some black not-further-described fabric that I think I can use for a trial of my pants. It's quite fine and has creases so must be some sort of natural fibre or blend but I have no idea what or even when/where I got it.

I have no idea what other colours I can add to all this. I need something that will go with navy. Any suggetions? I'd like something with a bit of zing to liven up the boring-ness of the navy blue.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Depending on your colouring and what you like - I would add pink, yellow or orange to navy.
Good luck with the interview!

Sharon said...

I've seen you wearing Pink and it will certainly give the Navy a lift. And the Pink jeans jacket will be great for the winter addition. What colours are in the print skirt, do any of those make you smile? Do you have any of the navy print left, can this be used with the navy for the top?

Gwen said...

Hi Alison! I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and telling your story about sewing for an Avon lady. :)
As I'm sure you know very well, getting comments really means a lot!
Now that I've found your blog - love the name, by the way! - I'll subscribe and follow your sewing adventures! We have cats too... They bring a lot of joy into my life and a lot of aggravation into the sewing room! ;)
Thanks again! Take care, Gwen