This is another of the tops I finished on my sewing weekend away. It's a copy of a RTW that I bought from Big W ($14!!). The RTW had a sleeve band that was too tight for me so I took it off & hemmed the sleeve but it was still a bit close to my arm for comfort and also too short. The top also needed a bit more in the gathered area as it was pulling towards my underarm. It was then that I hit on the idea of making another one that actually *did* fit.
So off to Spotlight I went, looking for a pattern. Nothing! I couldn't believe it! This style is all over the shops at the moment but none of the big 4 pattern companies had one. So I was forced to draft my own. A friend showed me how to copy from the RTW garment (we discovered it was very off-grain) and I was set. I added a bit more to the front and used the puff sleeve from Jalie 2788 Twist Top. I'm very happy with the result - the fabric is beautiful...it sewed like a dream and feels gorgeous.
Another tip I used for this top is to use clear elastic for the gathering. I found the method in Nancy Zieman's Ultimate Sewing Guide. I used 1cm elastic and stretched it to make the front fit the yoke. Result? The gathers are perfect and very even. I love this method and will definately use it again.
So off to Spotlight I went, looking for a pattern. Nothing! I couldn't believe it! This style is all over the shops at the moment but none of the big 4 pattern companies had one. So I was forced to draft my own. A friend showed me how to copy from the RTW garment (we discovered it was very off-grain) and I was set. I added a bit more to the front and used the puff sleeve from Jalie 2788 Twist Top. I'm very happy with the result - the fabric is beautiful...it sewed like a dream and feels gorgeous.
Another tip I used for this top is to use clear elastic for the gathering. I found the method in Nancy Zieman's Ultimate Sewing Guide. I used 1cm elastic and stretched it to make the front fit the yoke. Result? The gathers are perfect and very even. I love this method and will definately use it again.
Pattern: self-drafted copy of RTW
Fabric: cotton/lycra jersey purchased from Pitt Trading
Cost: $8 per metre
3 comments:
Hi Alison, the top looks great. Love the new page.
Hi Alison,
The top is a good fit and the gathering is so professional.
Hi Alison, How bright is your page now. Great work again.
Post a Comment