First of all, I agonised over which size to make. My full bust says I'm an FF (fat face) but of course, I knew that would be too big in the shoulders/neck area so I went with my high bust measurement which was BB (big boobs!!). I tapered the pattern out to the FF from the underarm down & did the same with the sleeve. I made a toile out of some fabric scraps I had just to see if it would go around the girls and it did. However, (& that's a big however) the real fabric I was using was not quite as stretchy plus the recovery was a bit suspect and I wasn't 100% sure that the result would be good. Well, I was right. The top is a bit tight and, for this fabric, could've used an FBA. I also have armhole gaposis. Here's another interesting fact...when I stitched the 2 layers of the bodice front together, the edges stretched and went all wavy. I then steamed it flat. When I went to put front & back together, the front side seam was quite smaller than the back. Did it shrink? (I did pre-shrink the fabric)I don't know cos nothing else was a problem. Although the front bodice seam appears to be higher than it was on the toile. Ergh...
Anyway, onto the pics. I'm not sure if/how I could fix this at this stage, so will wear it and deal with that. I'm not particular happy with how it clings to my 'middle-aged spread' but what can you do?

This first photo makes it look reasonably OK. There's worse to come. Oh & just ignore that black thing around my neck...it's my glasses cord!

Here we have folds pointing to both my bust and stomach. Not good.
Fabric: Rhonda knit from Knitwit
Cost: $15.95 p/metre
Purchased: May 2008
Conclusions: I love the pattern and the way the neck is finished. I'll make it again but in a finer, stretchier fabric and may even add a FBA. The shoulders could do with 1.5cm taken off (that's if you can work out which bit is the shoulder seam!!). I'd also take care of the fold from the armhole.
1 comment:
Give this pattern another go because the neck fit is tops :)
Post a Comment