Monday, 27 January 2014

Another hanger shot

I'm really happy with how much sewing I've got done this weekend. It's funny how much you can do when you step away from the computer!!

This is a top for a friend (hence the hanger shot) which I have promised her since last September. I was concerned about sizing since she's not a tiny chick but I think it will be fine. Turns out it only took me a couple of hours from cutting out to finishing. The rolled hems gave me a bit of grief but the rest was a snap. Now I want one for myself!



Butterick 4989
View D Size XL
mesh fabric from The Remnant Warehouse
$12 for 3m

I only made one change to the pattern and that was using two right fronts for View D. My recipient wanted a drapey open top that she could tie in various ways so I thought View D was perfect for that.

This pattern was one I made last year for myself (View B) but never took a photo of. Maybe I'll get it out when I write the PR review for this one.


In other news, I have made a toile of the top in the ASG Challenge pattern Simplicity 1592. Ugh. For my toile, I just made an FBA of 3cm which I rotated into the gathers. It's tight across the bust, stomach & back. The hips are good. So I let out the side seams & the centre back seam and it's OK except for the bust. So I'll need to do another FBA but leave it as a dart I think. I can't see that I could add any more to the gathers cos it's such a small area.

I'm not sure if this pattern is small (I used size 24 at the sides!!) or if I'm just not used to fitted woven tops. Cos this baby sure is fitted!! I've also just realised that I won't be able to show any of my finished items for the Challenge since a few ASG members read this blog! Bugger.



5 comments:

Cherrypix said...

Lucky friend! The colours are gorgeous in that top. And perfect for the ASG competition!...Very impressed that you've already started!! I've gotten as far as reading the pattern options...

Sue said...

That would be a great fabric choice for you! I think you will just have to keep it and make your friend another one! :D

Kristy Chan said...

I'm impressed too that you're already thinking of the ASG challenge too, I'm lost for inspiration at the moment

BeaJay said...

Gorgeous - simply gorgeous. Loving that fabric. Great shrug

Sharon said...

Lovely top for your friend and already getting organised for the ASG Challenge. There could be a few of us not being able to blog until after the event.