Saturday, 25 January 2014

2 tops, obligation sewing & a catch up

I've just realised I haven't blogged about the few things I've finished this year.

I used to have a nice TNT sleeveless top that I wear around the house. I decided to make another version for my cruise but discovered it's no longer a TNT due to body changes. Anyway, here it is. Apologies for the hanger shot but the fit is not that good plus my photographer is out.


McCalls 8050
Lizette cotton sateen fabric from Spotlight
$5 per metre bought on 8 December 2013

Here is the second top - also sleeveless and using another pattern that I've sewn before. This one is New Look 6895. I made 2 of the sleeved versions way back in 2011. This one fits better but I had to play with the neckline *a lot* cos it was very low and wide. I finally got a photo that shows the true colour of the fabric. You can see the difference between the first & the second photos. It's the first one that shows the correct colour of the fabric.



New Look 6895
View A
Cotton voile from The Remnant Warehouse
$5.95 per metre purchased on 2 November 2013


Close up of gathered front detail

My obligation sewing has ended with the finish of this gown for my mother. She calls it a brunch coat...not sure what Americans call it. She asked me to make it as she couldn't get one in the shops for love or money. They all tie around the waist which mother hates. Her alternative was to pay $70+ in David Jones. Anyway, it's made of the most gorgeous Cambridge lawn that I've had in my stash since the 90s. Back when Lincraft used to sell beautiful fabric. Sigh. I knew that I would never use it as it's not my colours plus I don't do floral much. But for a brunch coat it's perfect. It just needs the buttons & buttonholes (no buttons in the stash that matched). Oh & I added a patch pocket which was requested by mother.


Kwik Sew 3106
Size XL
Fabric from Lincraft


Close up of the front yoke

Also sewn for the cruise was a swimming costume for myself. Of course, this has to be a hanger shot...there's no way I'm exposing my body to you all! I'm considering buying a dressmakers dummy for better displaying these type of items. The hanger does nothing for it!


Kwik Sew 2333
Fabric from The Remnant Warehouse
$10 p/metre



Back view

Last but not least were 2 lanyards. Necessary items for the cruise. I made 2 but DD's has disappeared into the void so I could only photograph mine. Vera Bradley fabric (what else?) and I just made it using a 2.5" strip of fabric.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Love the fabric for your Mum's brunch coat and your swimsuit looks great. Pity the colour doesn't show true for your green/brown top but glad you worked out the neck.

Kristy Chan said...

Love your swimsuit, such great colours. I hope the swimsuit got a lot of wear on your holiday!

BeaJay said...

Ah yes, I remember the days of the brunch coat. Love it. Great cozzie and nice tops.

ista said...

love the togs :)

The brunch coat is a great use of stash fabric you know you wont wear.

Sue said...

The brunch coat is very pretty - your Mum should love it! Fabulous togs too!