Monday, 17 June 2013

One post per month?

After much radio silence, I'm back to update you with my sewing finishes. 3 weekends ago, I went on a sewing weekend which Sharon organised at a local hotel. I had been cutting out & planning stuff for weeks beforehand and here are my results.

I managed to finish three tops, one cardigan & work on a vest. There are no photos of the vest because it's not yet finished nor do I like it much. Oh well. The lining on the other hand is drop dead gorgeous. Pft.

The first top I made was McCalls 6247. I've made this before, quite a while ago in a plain cotton spandex. What I love about this top is the shape...it flares out below the bustline so covers my tum quite well. The only problem with it is the neckband instructions are complete cr@p. They almost did my head in. Also this fabric is quite flimsy so probably needs some support in there. My coverpro hated the hem on this fabric. I'll be ripping it out & re-doing with spray starch as it looks awful. Otherwise, I like the top. LOL.


McCalls 6247
Fabric: Poly spandex from Spotlight purchased 12 July 2011
Cost: $11.95 p/m

My second top is that good old stand-by, New Look 6735. In it's ever evolving state, I have shortened the band a little so it sits nicer now. I think it might be almost perfect except that my boobs keep growing. The fabric is aqua & brown so it will go nicely with the brown jeans I've been making forever  since Christmas.


New Look 6735 
Fabric: Poly spandex from The Fabric Depot, Portland OR purchased 27 Feb 2011
Cost: US$7.99 per yard

Third & final top is also New Look 6735. This time I used the front from Simplicity 4076, Views C & D and finished the neckband with black FOE. Another win.


New Look 6735 with front from Simplicity 4076
Fabric: Poly spandex from The Remnant Warehouse bought on 20 April 2013
Cost: $8.95 p/m

Last but not least is the cardigan. It's Kwik Sew 2759 in a really lovely black/grey sweater knit with black ponte band. I stole that idea from Carolyn. I had a couple of problems while sewing but it's turned out nicely & will be a great addition to my wardrobe.  Nice view of our unpainted architrave!


Kwik Sew 2759, View C
Fabric: Sweater Knit from the Remnant Warehouse
Cost: $9.95 p/m
Band: Very lightweight black ponte, $9.95 p/m also from RW

11 comments:

Dilliander said...

Lovely tops! Sounds like you had both a fun and very productive weekend away. All that prep was worth it :)

schnauzer said...

Lovely collection of tops. The cardigan looks really good in those colours.

Judith said...

WOW! You have been sewing up a storm whilst absent from blogging. Love them all - but fav would be #3, the New Look/Simplicity combo...great sewing...J

Sue said...

Loving all your latest wardrobe additions! I particularly love the blue/brown top but I am going through a blue/brown thing at the moment. BTW I have made the S&S jacket - on my blog if you want to see it. :)

Judie said...

I will happily steal most of your new clothes - just my colours! Lovely collection.

Sharon said...

Great collection and so glad you have them finished as they look fantastic on you.

Sew Leonie said...

You've been very productive! I love the aqua/brown top.

BeaJay said...

Great job with your tops and cardi. I somehow missed seeing the 3rd top on the weekend away. Love how they have all turned out. Looks great on you. Loving the fabric choices.

Chris Lucas said...

What a great addition to your wardrobe! 4 new pieces that all look great. I can't see from the photo anything wrong with the hemline and you look great in red. All the tops and the cardi look fab on you :)

Cherrypix said...

A great 'collection'! Really like your blog 'revamp' too.

Cherrypix said...

A great 'collection'! Really like your blog 'revamp' too.