The first machine is my current main machine & love, a Janome Memory Craft 8000. I got it brand new in 1993 and it was the first home embroidery machine. I've had the motherboard replaced once but as they don't make parts anymore, if it dies again it's toast.
The next photo is my first ever brand new machine, an Elna Contessa 410. It's quite yellow now! I used this baby for 9 years when I was in my 20s and it served me well. Not quite sure why I still have it but maybe I had dreams that my DD would sew. Sigh.
Then in 1998, I bought this Husqvarna Rose mainly for its embroidery capabilities. I could download designs from the net and so I did for a couple of years. But lately I've lost interest in embroidery. This machine is still a lovely machine & has a couple of nice features I would like in the "perfect" machine including tapping the foot control to bring the needle up or down and an automatic bobbin thread uptake.
When my daughter was born, I decided to upgrade my overlocker. I had previously owned a 3 thread Brother which gave me no end of trouble. So I bought this Janome 4 thread & have never looked back. Oh & I sold the Brother for $300!
I got this mechanical machine off Ebay from a local seller. It was in pristine condition. My reasoning for buying it was to teach my daughter but she has never sewn on this machine. I used to use it as a class machine but it's also handy for topstitching since my main machine hates topstitching thread.
If you read my blog regularly, you know I recently got this machine from Ebay for $150. It's a lovely machine and replaced the one above as my class machine. One of the things I love about all my machines is they use the same cords.
Of course, as a knit sewer I had to get one of these. It's a Coverpro which I mainly use for hems.
After having my overlocker in for a service once, I realised I needed a back-up overlocker so this one was purchased off Gum Tree. It badly needed servicing at the time but now sews like a beauty and I keep it threaded with white.
Around the same time as the back-up overlocker purchase, I bought this Elna Lotus off Gum Tree. It was an impulse buy really & I never use her but one day she might come in handy to take on a plane. Well, that's my story anyway.
This machine was never purchased to sew with. One day I thought it might be nice to have a little collection of machines. So I bought this one. It does actually sew but it's mostly used as sewing room decoration these days.
And now to the main reason for this post (& I thank you if you've stayed with me all this time). Bought this one at Easter from a woman with no teeth in Mudgee for $550. It was filthy. I don't think the bobbin case had ever been cleaned and every nook & cranny had dust/dirt in it. Plus the house had a smoker in it. Something I'd never come across before with an Ebay purchase but now something to keep in mind because the machine definitely smells. It's been airing for a few days & is not too bad now thank goodness. But it sews beautifully and has some wonderful features including a knee lift! I think I'm falling in love!











10 comments:
Wow - that is some collection of machines. There maybe a meeting you can go to. Seriously though - I am jealous.
Thanks for sharing your collection. I manage with 1 Janome Excel only slightly different to yours, and one Janome MyLock, both purchased in 2000. Maybe one day I'll find some friends for them.......
I'm loving your collection. I also have several of the machines you own. I purchased my Janome MC8000 new and I can't seem to part with it. I very seldom sew on it now but it is a great machine and I purchased all of the accessories that were available. I have 2 BabyLock sewing machines and a BabyLock Evolve serger. I have 4 Janome sewing machines and the Janome CoverPro 1000 CPX.
As I have always said, if you want it and can afford it, go for it. And especially if it makes you happy. Whilst I can't understand wanting to have so many machines I can understand having the addiction. Apart from fabrics I collect jigsaws, both of which addictions make me happy. Just think when daughter leaves home you can turn her room into your machine room and get even more machines, yay.
Gosh, what a lot of machines. You must have a big room to house them all. I have to admit I am not one of the world's collectors (except books, fabrics, ideas :) )
Love your sewing machine collection! I can totally relate about not being able to part with any of them and keeping them especially when they sew so well. I have 3 sewing machines (1 in long term storage) and two sergers (1 in long term storage) and I don't think I could part with any of them. We moved to a remote mining town for work and left all our belongings in long term storage so I had to buy myself new sewing machines when I decided to take up sewing again (geez that was hard lol). I can't wait til we go back home to unpack my sewing machines and set them all up along side my new ones. I have a BabyLock Evolution seger that does coverstitch but I still think I'd like to add a coverstitch machine to my collection. Hoping that if I drop enough hints hubby will buy me one for Xmas this year :)
Goodness that is some collection. Id be spoilt for choice. I think I will stick with my trusty Bernina
Oooh yes I understand the desire for different machines that specialise in different things and have a herd myself of machines that I use and love. Recently tripped over a pristine condition Elna Lotus TSP. It had to come home with me. Lovely little collectible machine it is too, great for travel.
Enjoying seeing your convention sewing started, mine has as well.
I love your machines! I had so much fun looking at them! I too have some Janomes and an Elan, but that Janome 4800 is a real treat to see! I would have loved one of those. The knee lift is a really wonderful addition I love the one on my machine and you will love it. :)
Post a Comment