Wednesday, 2 November 2011

New Look 6895

I was going to do a big post about the PR Downunder GTG we had on Oct 14 but I'm feeling a bit lazy and it's probably a little late now. :) So instead I will post about my latest finish.

I traced, adjusted, toiled and sewed this top in one day. How's that for a recommendation? All the reviews on PR for this pattern say it's really big but I disagree. While it might be OK for those who don't have much in the chest region, for me it wasn't big enough as I discovered after I toiled it. I had already done a 3cm FBA but the toile showed pulling across the bust so I decided to just slash the pattern where the gathers are and add in another 3cm making a total bust addition of 12cm. Sounds about right!

Of course, having added to the gathers meant that the bias band around the neck still fitted. Genius! So I brought out this gorgeous rayon that I purchased at Spotlight last Friday and whipped this baby up in time to wear to a Melbourne Cup lunch yesterday. Feeling very pleased with myself! Another positive about this top is that it matched my purple cropped pants from last year's Endless Combinations contest so that was a bonus. Of course both pieces are in my colour swatches so that was just the icing on the cake. Happy happy dance.


New Look 6895
Size 18
Fabric: Rayon from Spotlight
$12.95 per metre

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Love the colours and your top looks great. Hope you had a great time yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Very nice top, and a very speedy one too

Rachel said...

Hi Alison, thanks for your comment on my jacket. It wouldn't let me email you back, but in answer to your question about sealing the seams - no I didn't, which hasn't seemed to be a problem. Because it's raglan sleeved there aren't really any "exposed" seams on the shoulders. The only place I maybe wish i had was along the collar by the hood. The seam up the centre of the hood stayed water tight despite being on the top of my head though