Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Another top for my wardrobe

This is the last of my gorgeous red print. I wish I'd bought more! It's just beautiful but rather a bugger to sew. I've used McCalls 6247 again - this is a fantastic pattern! I've just cut out the jacket in a black ponte and have plans to make both red & black pants from the same pattern.

Anyway...I digress. This is the sleeveless version of the top and it uses the same pattern pieces as the long (or 3/4 if you're tall) sleeved top. What I didn't think of or realize is that when you add the armhole bands to the top, the shoulders end up off your shoulder. But actually I don't mind the look.

As this fabric was such a bugger, I had to use spray starch on the hemline to get any sort of reasonable stitch. This was in addition to the steam a seam that I always use. So it took me 2 days to get enough spray starch onto the hem to give the fabric some body so now it's a little strange in the photo as I haven't washed it out yet (& am hoping that it will wash out!).



McCalls 6247
View C size 16
Fabric: Rayon jersey
Purchased at the Fabric Depot Portland, OR
Cost: US$8.99 per yard


This is a closeup of the neckband. Of course, the topstitching is not as good as my previous version. Isn't that always the way?


And here's a closeup of the armhole band. The instructions didn't say to topstitch around but I think it sits better with it.




3 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow your jacket and top are looking fantastic. When you make up the black ponte, you will have a very versatile wardrobe with the red that you took away as well.

velosews said...

I think the top stitching and neckband are great. I am looking forward to the jacket - what a cool item to look forward too.

Sue said...

How come I never noticed that pattern before?? Lurve that fabric too! You are going to get a great red/black capsule.