Monday, 13 December 2010

Endless Combinations Contest

Finally, I've finished sewing, photographing, reviewing & uploading! Phew! It takes ages to get all these photos in an acceptable composite, then you have to review each item.

On the weekend, I sewed my last 2 items for this contest. I found this great batik fabric in my stash that I bought when I was in Portland, OR in 2008. It matched my purple knit pants perfectly plus it had a bit of aqua in it. Score! So I made it up into Simplicity 8523. I cut the V neck down a little lower as I thought it was too high. Here's the result.

Simplicity 8523
Fabric: 100% cotton from The Fabric Depot, Portland OR
Purchased in October 2008
Price: US$10.49 per yard less 25%

So today I finished the last item. I got this fabric at The Remnant Warehouse last week during our ASG meeting. It's fantastic! For some reason I only bought 1 metre. I was thinking I'd make a sleeveless top. But when I went to cut it out, I discovered the stretch runs along the grain not across. So I turned it around & cut it the other way. That meant I could have sleeves! But I decided to go with an old pattern that was very easy & had cut on sleeves so no easing. Luckily because this fabric is a bit of a bugger to sew. I used my overlocker for all the seams but the hems were a shocker! I just left the bottom edged overlocked cos my machine had enough trouble on the sleeve hems, I wasn't going to fiddle around any more.


McCalls 2625 (same pattern as McCalls 8050)
Size 16, no alterations
Fabric: $9.99 from The Remant Warehouse

So here is my finished collage of photos for my entry. I'm quite happy with the results & I still have a couple of pieces of aqua fabric I could make up! LOL.


Oh but I don't think I showed you all the cardigan in the composite. Oh well. It's New Look 6735 sewn using that fabric I bought in New Zealand. I love it!

5 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Lovely fresh colours. Realy workable pieces. Look great together and I think you'll wear them a lot.

Sharon said...

Your last two tops are brilliant, and your pieces go really well together, all set for summer.

kbenco said...

You have made some terrific clothes from your gorgeous fabrics. I love your colour choices. A great wardrobe.

velosews said...

Whoo hoo. It's all working well together. I remember that stripe fabric from RW. The texture of it and the colours are even better up close. Nice choice bro. You're very talented. Glad you've gone for a lower v-neckline too :)

Sue said...

Fab wardrobe!