Sunday, 24 October 2010

Re-fashioning or should that be recycling?

A much needed clean out of my wardrobe recently came up with 4 dresses that I used to wear when I was fatter. I was about to put them in the donation bag when I realised I could re-fashion the skirt sections into sleeveless tops for wearing around the house this summer. The fabrics are mostly cotton, one is a rayon I think and still in good condition considering their age. So I whacked them in the washing machine, cut the skirts off and ironed them.

This is my first attempt and was going to be a toile but it's turned out quite well. I didn't make facings for the armholes or neckline but used bias that I made out of the same fabric (good old Clover bias maker - I love you!) so it seems that I have stretched the neckline a little bit while applying. I've also discovered that my right shoulder is a tad lower than my left and the top falls off that side a little bit. Not sure how I could fix that. Maybe a bigger shoulder seam on that side? Anyway, here's the result.


McCalls 8178 OOP
Size 14
Fabric: Rayon (I think) re-fashioned from a previous garment
Price of pattern: 50c
Price of fabric: zero
Finished garment: priceless

3 comments:

velosews said...

Surprising what you can do with what you've got, isn't it?

Sharon said...

Great refashion and your top will be ideal for summer.

Unknown said...

You clever chicken you!