I made this hoodie a few weeks ago now but haven't got around to posting a pic. I realised I needed a hoodie for my walks when it's a bit nippy and I had this fleece that I bought in the USA so I decided to make it up into Vogue 2816. I'm not sure if this is OOP but it probably is. I've had it for a while.
Here's the line drawings.
As you can see, the hoodie in this pattern only has a 3/4 zip. Well of course, I wanted a full length zip so had to use the front from View A and add the hood. Sounds easy? Well actually it was even though Views A & B have different pattern pieces. That all worked fine. It was the zip that gave me grief. First of all, you need a 24" (60cm) open end zip. So that's what I bought. Problem was, the 24" zip only measured 23". I was a little shirty when I realised that. So I had to make my jacket a little shorter. No problem. But trying to insert a heavy zip into fleece is not easy. It went all wavy. So I tried fusing it with Steam a Seam. Yes, I melted my zipper and it was then permanently inserted. Cr@p. Luckily, the melting was only slight so I could still use the zip. I used stay tape for the other side and it's OK. Only OK. Live and learn.
The only alterations I made to the pattern was to shorten the sleeves. Now I'm not exactly sure what Amazonian woman these sleeves were made for but I had to take off 4". I know I'm only short at 5' 2" but I don't usually need to take off that much! Four inches?? So of course then I was worried that the sleeves would be too short. But they are perfect. Happy days! LOL.
So after all that drama, here's a pic of the completed jacket. I'd just got back from my walk so ignore my windswept look (boy is it windy here today). I'm still not 100% sure that this is one of my colours (although my swatches say it is) but it was the only colour they had in this unbelievably soft fleece so it came home with me.
Vogue 2816
Size 16
Fabric from Rose City Textiles, Portland OR
US$18 per yard purchased in October 2008



4 comments:
Very nice hoodie, and personally I find putting zips in polar fleece an absolute nightmare, with or without stay tape. In fact fusing it to the fleece with a iron has a certain wicked appeal! (Take that, you dastardly zip).
I like your hoodie very much and the colour works for you.
It worked well. Nice work Alison. The colour does work on you.
Had to laugh and agree with kbenco. Great hoodie - see you at the Guild.
Post a Comment