Thursday, 17 June 2010

Update on my Wardrobe collection

I had a wonderful 3 day weekend sewing. I just can't seem to get enough sewing right now. Not sure if it's the weather or the contest but I'm loving it. So...onto the updates.

First item is Kwik Sew 3740. Well, actually it's a modified version of 3740. I wanted to make a snug thermal-type top that I could layer for warmth. My original plan was to use KS 2900 but I discovered as I went to trace it, that it is HUGE & has very low loose armholes. Definitely not the look I wanted. 3740 is nice and snug on me so I used the front, back & sleeves from that instead. However, 2900 still came into play as it had a great turtleneck in view A so I traced the neckline and overlaid it on the 3740. I also used the collar but only made it half the size in height. Then I used Kwik Sew 2625, a child's pattern, to add the zip. The instructions for that were a snap but as my fabric was black and it was late afternoon I found it a little tricky. However all was well in the end and I'm very happy with the result although the collar could've used a little interfacing to make it a bit stiffer.

Excuse the funny bump on my hip...it's my pedometer! LOL




Kwik Sew 3740 modified
Fabric: 100% wool
Bought at The Remnant Warehouse 5.6.2010
$12.95 p/metre

Next up is my version of the OOP McCalls 4600. This is the top with removable cowl. All went well with this one except I think the front neck is too high. You can see it when the cowl is on. Not particularly happy with that. In fact, I may yet cut it down & re-hem. The shoulders are also a bit big which I can easily fix. I have another piece of fabric so can make this again and I think I will. Not sure if it will be my entry but I'll decide later.

Photos with and without cowl.




McCalls 4600 OOP
Fabric: 100% wool
Bought at The Remnant Warehouse 5.6.2010
$12.95 p/metre

Last but not least on my weekend of tops is the top from Simplicity 2603. I added sleeves to this top and also cut the armhole down a bit. I did my usual FBA but didn't want a dart on the top so in a flash of brilliance, I rotated the dart to the front gathers. Not being sure how that would go, I made a toile out of another knit and it worked fantastically. Another great result!



Simplicity 2603
Fabric: 100% wool
Bought at The Remnant Warehouse 5.6.2010
$12.95 p/metre

5 comments:

Gail said...

Great tops Alison. I particularly like the Simplicity 2603.

KID, MD said...

Very nice collection of tops! You'll get a lot of wear out of them and they all look wonderful.

Sue said...

Great tops!
Another pedometer junkie!

Sharon said...

Fantastic tops and I love how you modified the Kwik Sew.

velosews said...

They are all great tops. Our winter weather is making it real easy to sew warm clothes.