Saturday, 29 May 2010

Wardrobe Contest again

So I spent yesterday pulling out patterns, tracing them and comparing various bits to some of my RTW clothes that fit. Here's what I decided.

The black pants are going to be made from the OOP McCalls 4600. I have a pair of RTW black knit pants size 14 which I compared to the pattern. According to my hip size, I am a 22 or XL in this pattern. The RTW pants are snug and that's the look I want. I don't want saggy baggy knit pants so if I make a 22, that's what I'll get. I measured all the seams in the RTW and compared them to the pattern. If I make a medium (12-14), it will be very similar to the RTW so that's what I'll do. Stay tuned for either a celebration or a complete disaster! LOL.

My black/white/red poly jersey will be made into New Look 6735, View B with the long sleeves of View A. I have trialled this top before and know it fits but was quite long. The pattern has now been shortened by 2" so this should be fine.

The Simplicity 2603 cami top will have sleeves. I just did an FBA on this pattern and wondered what would happen if I rotated the dart into the gathered front. So I did. I wasn't really sure I wanted a dart in this pattern and I like a lot of gathers so this seemed like the answer. We shall see. I'm about to trial this in some leftover knit so if it works I'll post a lovely pic of me in winter in a sleeveless top!

The Jalie jeans were shortened by 2" and the below butt area shortened by 1", tapering out to nothing at the side seams. The rest appears OK but who will know until the real fabric is used.

The red skirt from NL 6735 will be made longer than the pic on the pattern envelope. I like my skirts almost to my ankle as I have awful legs plus it will keep me warmer. To that end, I've added 6" to the length. Sounds a lot doesn't it? Especially when I'm short. But I can always take it off the top as it's only an elastic waist.

3 comments:

velosews said...

The patterns you've chosen will look good. Bring your skirt length higher. That way ou can wear tights with boots in the winter.

velosews said...

sorry about the typo. ou should read you

Sharon said...

You have got some great patterns planned and unfortuately I don't have any red in my stash to swap.

Agree with velosewer re shortening the skirt.