Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Frustrated!

I'm currently sewing an outfit for a friend. Yeah, I know....I hate sewing for other people. But I figure with the patterns I'm using and the fact that she's not a sewer, it doesn't have to be perfect. So with that in mind, I began with tracing off & cutting out the tissue.

I'm using Butterick B5107 which is a Connie Crawford sized for plus sizes skirt & jacket.


I'm only making the skirt. Looks easy, right? Well it is. I did a quick over-clothes hip measure of my victim in the fabric store. She measures 52". I look at pattern. XXL measurements are 48-52" hip. Going well so far. This is the size I will use. I open up the pattern at home only to find that the finished measurement that is printed on the tissue for the XXL size is 48". What?????? Are you kidding me? How the heck is that supposed to fit anyone in the size range 48-52?? Maybe I'm going mad...so I measure the pattern myself. I get 44". Do you see a pattern here (pardon the pun!)? Ergh..so I cut out the toile in the 1X size and am hoping when we have our fitting tomorrow that it will fit. However, with all those seams, I can let it out 3". Fingers crossed.

So now we go to the shirt I'm making. It's for her 50th birthday party which is a western theme. Kwik Sew 3039 is the one here.

I have no idea what her bust measurement is so at this stage, I'm using the XL & we'll see how it goes. Luckily for me, she has broad shoulders cos this pattern is quite big in that area. Why I don't know. Anyhoo...I cut out the toile and thought I'd try it on cos I'm considering making it for myself. I *love* the shaping darts & side seams..very flattering. But wouldn't you know it...it doesn't go around my bust. Now the XL is supposed to have a finished measurement of 48". My bust only measures 43". So what the heck is happening here????? It doesn't even come within a whisker of touching, let alone overlapping. It's at least 2" away from the centre fronts meeting. I double-checked and have definitely traced off the XL. So once again, I'm having problems. It must be the curse of sewing for others. No wonder I don't do it for a living.

2 comments:

velosews said...

AAhhh. What have you let yourself in for? I did something similar earlier this year and almost threw in the 'towel'. Sometimes the pattern is misleading but unfortunately I have to 'suck it up' and make lots of pattern adjustments. You may only need to do an FBA to start off with. Aahhh.

Sharon said...

Agree with velowsewer, did you do a FBA?

I stand very firm on not making things for friends, don't get enough time to sew for myself :)