Saturday, 31 January 2015

So far in my year of non-procrastination......

The weather in Sydney has been warm, hot, humid, cool, breezy and more humidity. A bit of everything. Since I can really only sew productively on cool days, my sewing has been limited. But I did move the machine into the air con to sew something two weekends ago. And no, it's not pants.


It's the Dog Under My Desk Take Off tote! Yeah that's right, another bag! Erin's instructions are great but she uses different interfacing etc to Nicole Mallalieu so I had to source them, cos of course, I *had* to use the right stuff! I'm really happy with how it turned out so let me show you some of the features.



This pocket slips over the extendable handle of your suitcase. Very handy! I have a sewing bag with such a handle so this will give me extra space at my ASG meeting when I always come home with more than I go with!


The end of the zipper was supposed to have a sewn zipper tab over your chopped off zipper but since I used the correct length zip, I just left it. Plus I like it!


This is the inside and very hard to photograph. But that pocket is huge! If it wasn't divided, it could fit an iPad easily.



Outside zipper pocket which is handy for things you want easy access to.

There are a couple of things I would do differently next time. Like add handbag feet to protect the base. Mine is already dirty. :( But since I have to unpick it cos my front zipper pocket has come adrift, maybe I'll add them.


Onto the second item. When it was cool on Australia Day, I jumped at the chance to sew. And this is what I made. It's also by Dog Under My Desk and is the Get Carded bag. I made this for my DD. She has, funnily enough, a similar wallet by Vera Bradley. Cough. And she requested this fabric which is also VB. Double cough. Anyway, it's turned out FABULOUSLY! I even impressed myself with this one.



One side has a zipper gathered pocket and the other has a clear plastic ID pocket. Very handy for Opal cards etc.


This is the gathered zipper pocket. There are also options to have a normal zip pocket or a pleated pocket and a normal pocket to replace the ID pocket.


And of course, the inside. Erin uses velcro for the closure but I hate velcro. It nearly always dies a terrible death before the bag does. So I used a magnetic snap. Yes, I know...people say they wipe your credit cards but we shall take the risk.



In other news, I have decided to keep a running total of my fabric purchases for the year. Ergh...this may have been a mistake cos of 31 January I have bought 27.65m!!! Although I have to admit, a couple of pieces are specifically for the Travel Wardrobe contest on PR. But still. So this morning I did a quick purge from two of my plastic boxes in the sewing room and removed 6.5m to donate to Crowle Home. Feeling a bit better about that! But there is definitely more that can be donated so I'll be going through boxes as I feel the urge.


6 comments:

Sharon said...

Your bag looks fantastic and I am adding this pattern to my wish list. The Get Carded Bag looks perfect for its use.

BeaJay said...

Yep - definitely the bag lady - in the nicest possible way. Love your bag and that wallet is darn good. You are right to be pleased. Good luck in the travel wardrobe contest.

L said...

Tee-hee. Bag lady! Both the bag and wallet are very well made. Good luck in the contest!

Janine said...

Love your both your bag and wallet - both look very professional.

Can I ask where you sourced your bag hardware? TIA.

Lois said...

Hi Alison, your bags are lovely and I do love your fabric selection. I do like the idea of being able to slip the bag onto the handle of your suitcase and so I will be investigating that pattern.I really did think I was the fabric queen but if you keep on as you have begun you might beat me. Like you I donate some from time to time to try an reduce the stash.

Lois said...

Hi Alison, your bags are lovely and I do love your fabric selection. I do like the idea of being able to slip the bag onto the handle of your suitcase and so I will be investigating that pattern.I really did think I was the fabric queen but if you keep on as you have begun you might beat me. Like you I donate some from time to time to try an reduce the stash.