Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Last post of 2014

Time to do my traditional end-of-year wrap up. I keep a running tally down the sidebar of my blog of all the things I've sewn during the year. This year was reasonably productive but I always think I could do more. I've been working for Australia Post again this year starting from 26 October so haven't had as much time as I would've liked. It really makes me appreciate the time I have at home so a New Year's resolution is not to take this time for granted. I really admire all of you who work full-time and still manage to sew at night, in the early morning and the weekend. I don't think I could.

Anyway....onto my last project for the year (actually there is one more but it's a gift for a friend and I'm not sure that she doesn't read this blog). This was a gift for my great-niece - well actually she is my husband's nephew's daughter but close enough. I originally was going to make a totally different pattern but it was too much like hard work/effort so I decided to re-use the Vogue pattern that I made out of the leather.

The only differences from the leather version were (well, apart from the construction techniques!) the twist lock and the straps with O rings.


Vogue 8867 View C
Fabric from The Remnant Warehouse




Lining with pocket and my label




Strap attachment




Closeup of the twist lock


This year I made 7 bags (one being the friend's gift as above) culminating in 2nd prize in the PR Handbag contest. I also entered the Australian Sewing Guild Convention Challenge in the Convention Collection category (lots of Cs there!). I didn't win but I had a lot of fun, well most of the time anyway, making my wardrobe of clothes. I love planning stuff like that and I ended up with some new tops and pants which work well with all my other bits.

Here is my collage of finished items for the year.


To finish, here are some of my goals for 2015.

  • Stop procrastinating!
  • Make the most of my sewing time.
  • Finish off some UFOs that I've just found in my sewing room (chocolate brown jeans I'm looking at YOU!)
  • Master pants fitting - if I could only pick one goal, this would be the one

Happy New Year and see you on the other side!

5 comments:

elleR said...

Happy New Year! Impressive collage of completed projects - well done! elleR

Sue said...

Happy New Year Alison! Some beautiful makes there and the last bag is gorgeous too! I need to make that resolution about using my time better too... :)

BeaJay said...

Happy New Year Alison. You have made some fab items there. You really rock the bags. As a matter of fact I would call you the bag lady but that just doesn't sound right!! Love the fabric in that new bag.

Sharon said...

Love the bag for your great-niece and you have had a very productive year. Look forward to seeing what you get up to this year!

catspec said...

LOVE that purple bag!!! Just love the print. Excellent work....