Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Bridesmaid yet again!

I suppose now it's all done & dusted, I should show you the handbag I made for the Pattern Review Handbag Contest. Maybe I should've done this earlier and got some more votes! LOL. I came second in the contest but only by two votes.

I've had this faux croc patent red goat leather since the 2011 (or was it 2012?) Aussie PR weekend. We visited NSW leather where I picked this baby up for around $13. Such a bargain! Anyway, it's been sitting in my stash just waiting for the opportunity to be made into something wonderful.

As the goat skin was quite small, I couldn't really make anything big out of it so this bag was ideal. The pattern is Vogue 8867 which is apparently now OOP. I originally wanted to make View C but ended up with a slightly modified version of View B with the shorter flap. I couldn't get all the pieces for View C out of my leather.

A more detailed review is on PR....I described there how I sewed, taped & glued various seams and also how I sourced and attached the gorgeous little push lock. But I will show you a couple of pics.

The first one is modelled by my daughter in a similar pose to the pattern envelope.



 It was really hard to get a decent shot of the bag - flash, no flash, close up, far away - they all came out like this! Eventually had to go outside & use natural light.



Closeup of the gorgeous little push lock




Side view




4 comments:

Michelle said...

Your bag is fabulous. I love the color and texture of the skin!

BeaJay said...

Love your bag. Very vibrant. Great colour.

Sue said...

Great bag - I can't believe how frustratingly close you came to being no 1. - next time! :)

Maren Geroux said...

Hi Alison,
Please forgive my leaving this in a comment, I couldn’t find an e-mail address for you. I’m making an index of Australian sewing bloggers, which you can find here: http://iammsfrizzle.blogspot.com/2014/12/sewists-of-australia.html I hope you don’t mind being on it- just let me know if you want to be removed. Thank you!