Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Kwik Sew 3784

After a lacklustre month of non-sewing, I've finally managed to get something completed. The pattern is Kwik Sew 3784 which I just bought from Sewing Patterns.com. I decided to try it out on DD before attempting it for myself which was a good thing as there were a couple of tricky parts to this pattern.

I chose a rayon print for my fabric. That may have been my first mistake! The print, of course, is not the same on the reverse of the fabric and it would show in the ruffle. So I thought I'd make a double layer ruffle. Sounds easy. Well, not really. Because it's rayon, it made the ruffle quite heavy & when I attached it to the neck edge, it stretched the edge right out. Luckily I tried it on DD at this stage and realised. I had to fudge by taking in the shoulder seams as I had permanently stretched the front neck edge. So my recommendation is to stabilise this area. I used a fine fusible stay tape.

I thought the ruffle would just attach normally but no...Kwik Sew want you to gather it on which makes for a lot more ruffles than I would've expected. So much so, that it's a bit clown-like at the back. I'm not 100% sure about that look.


The rest of the top went together really well. The only adjustments I made for DD were a 3cm FBA and I added 1" to the neck so it wasn't as low. That all worked well and here's the result.


Kwik Sew 3784
Size S
Fabric: Rayon knit from The Remnant Warehouse
Price: $7.95 p/m

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I don't think it's remotely clown-like, but I might not be the best judge as I was accused of trying to make a clown top for my four-year-old just a few days ago.

waikikimum said...

Thanks for this post. I have been looking for a pattern with a ruffle down centre front. Your top looks very pretty.

Sharon said...

Can see what you mean by the clown ruffle, however I think the finsihed top looks great on DD.

BeaJay said...

I think it looks great. I like the ruffles

velosews said...

Wow. That looks great on DD. You've done a top job Alison.