So....onwards. I saw this fabric at the Remnant Warehouse in November (or was it December?) and had to have it. It is the most gorgeous soft cotton voile, it feels like silk cotton but the burn test tells me it's just cotton. I thought it would make a good Christmas Day top in case of hot weather. Good idea.
New Look 6895 is the pattern and one I used just recently. I figured why waste time adjusting something new when that one is all ready. I made View E which has a higher neckline than the previous version and is just perfect in that regard. I also added about 1/2 inch to the neckline at the shoulders as the previous one falls off a bit. That's good too. All good so far. LOL.
I used Roberta Thompson's bias band method rather than the pattern. Two reasons - I prefer it and I'd lost the pattern piece for this band LOL. Anyway, it gave me the chance to make it wider which is much easier to handle especially when covering gathers. This is good too.
The bad bit is the fit. This little bugger pulls at the bust & is tight across the back. Wah! I did nothing different to the other one so I can only assume it's due to the higher neckline which in turn makes the gathers higher and further away from the girls. Bum. The back I can't explain. Maybe the other one is tight too and I just don't realise. Oh well. I still wore it on Christmas Day & while the pulling was slightly annoying, it still looked nice. That's all we can ask for, right?
Excuse me squinting in the photo. The sun made a rare appearance on Christmas Day & silly me thought it would be a good idea to have the photo taken outdoors!
New Look 6895 View E
Size 18 adjusted
Fabric: 100% cotton voile from The Remnant Warehouse
Purchased November 2011

3 comments:
I feel I am stalking you, having already left a comment on your review! Still loving the fabric and cannot see any pulling in the top. I think my last for 2011 will be my Burda shirtdress... the hard part is getting the photos!
I love the fabric and it's a great summer outfit too. I love the print.
It looks like it will be the perfect cool top for summer, love the colour. At least I now know what you will be sewing tomorrow LOL.
Post a Comment