Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Coat is finished!

Woooooooooot!

After hours of steaming, fusing, cutting, pressing and sewing..the coat is finally finished. Have I mentioned this before? Not sure.

I'm loving the end result and it's very warm. You can imagine how warm I was in these photos since it's about 20C and sunny here today. The coat is 100% Italian wool lined with silk and fused entirely with Textureweft. The collar (both pieces) also have 2 layers of Armoweft and the front facing has one layer of Armoweft.

I didn't really need a lot of adjustments, just an FBA and some shortening of the sleeves. Oh & a little fiddling with the width at the front chest area and back sleeve.

The pattern is Simplicity 4403 and is a princess seamed, button up to the neck number with in-seam pockets in the front. I hate coats that don't button right up cos that's the bit that gets cold so it took a while to find the perfect pattern.


Simplicity 4403
Size 16 adjusted
Fabric: Italian wool from Rathdowne Fabrics in Melbourne
$30 p/metre
Lining: 100% silk from USA - US$20 of thereabouts per yard


Back of coat. Those wrinkles are only there because I'm folding my arms.


Closeup of funky lining fabric.


A close-up of my buttons. Love them!


I also made a beret to match the hat. The jury's still out on that one but it certainly keeps my head warm! Unfortunately, it appears to have stretched a bit at the crown...probably because I couldn't be bothered to insert the required piece of interfacing. Oh well, too bad. :)


Vogue 8440
Size: Small (pin head)
Fabric: Same as coat

Oh and here's one I made earlier. This is another beret, this time made in stretch velvet. I adjusted the pattern a little by making the crown bit smaller. This one is Vogue 8681. Forgive the blurry photo...it's my first time taking a pic in the mirror.


Vogue 8681
Fabric: Stretch velvet to match Marcy jacket


3 comments:

Sharon said...

Your coat is stunning, you will be so snugly and warm.

velosews said...

You'll be really cosy in Launceston with these great pieces.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm really jealous - guess I'll have to finish my coat now!!! elleR